127 Chapman Road--Historic
Address: 127 Chapman Road
Contemporary Building Name: 127 Chapman Road
Historic Building Name: Ryan House, Shevchenko House
Present Use: Residential
Historic Use: Farmhouse
Architectural style: Colonial
Date constructed: 1716 (Realtor), 1955 (Assessor
Description: 127 Chapman Road is a two and a half story, center chimney colonial with a gable roof. The five bay front facade includes 6-over-9 windows. Sidelights flank both sides of the front door. It includes wide chestnut floorboards and a massive stone fireplace. The four bedrooms are proportional, with a front stairway from the front hall, and a back stairway from the kitchen. It currently sits on 75 acres with outbuildings.
Significance: 127 Chapman Road was moved from School Drive when the Elmer Thienes School was built. It was restored in 1955, and attempted to use as much original material as possible. Since it moved and was restored, the assessor shows it's construction date as 1955, and therefore was not included in the 1978 and 1998 historic structure surveys.
Sources: Hartford Courant, Real Estate Section G, September 8, 2006. pp. G4-G5.
Notes: Joseph Giggey, member of the now defunct Marlborough Historical Society noted that this house was moved from School Drive, and that it was known as the Ryan House. The photo was taken c. 1900. Since it was moved from its original location, was probably another reason it was not included on surveys. However, it should be included in the 1935 survey done by the Federal Writers' Project (notation below.)
Keith, Elmer D., director. Works Progress Administration, Federal Writers’ Project, Census of Old of Distinctive Buildings in the State of Connecticut. c. 1935.