Address: 141 Chapman Road
Contemporary Building Name: 141 Chapman Road
Historic Building Name: Henry West, Jr. House
Present Use: Residential
Historic Use: Residential
Architectural style: Colonial
Date constructed: 1740-1770 (Baber)
Description: 141 Chapman Road is a four-bay one-story, tall-central-chimney Colonial building with steeply pitched gable roof. The door is in the second bay from the left. Windows are 2-over-2 on the front, 6-over-6 on the sides except for the four-pane eaves windows which are found on the east side only. The attic windows also are four-pane. The ell, built at least in part in 1933, is both one-story and two-story. The foundation material is described by the assessor's field card as concrete, cinder block and by the Baber inventory (1978) form as stone. The difference is important because, if the assessor's description is correct, the house was originally elsewhere and was moved to this location. A possible explanation is that the stone foundation is parged and therefore looks like concrete from the exterior.
Significance: 141 Chapman Road is the last in the row of three similar houses on the south side of Chapman Road. Like 55 Chapman Road, to which it is similar in size, it has eaves windows on the east, and probably originally on the west, as well. The door, however, is in the second bay from the left instead of the third. 55 Chapman Road and 141 Chapman Road are close to being a pair, while 93 Chapman Road is smaller and may not originally have had four bays.
Sources: Baber, David. Capitol Region Council of Governments Historic Resource Survey of Marlborough, 1978.
Ransom, David. Historic and Architectural Resources Survey, Town of Marlborough, Connecticut. April 1998.
Notes: House has probably been moved from its original to its current location.